February 22, 2012

The Green Monster

The most delicious kind of green monster.    If you hop on over to Pinterest and do a search for this you'll come up with an abundance of results and variances on this monster of a smoothie.  I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical at first.  Though I love smoothies I'm not big on leafy greens.  I gave it a try though and now I'm hooked.  They're quick, simple, nutritious and to die for delicious.  Although I never make mine the same each time here is a basic run-down of how I throw one together.
I use a magic bullet blender to make these because that's all I have.  It's great for making one but sometimes I like to make two at a time so that I can have one for a snack later.  The bullet just makes it a little more tedious but the process should be the same for any blender.  I use 4 basic ingredients every time.
  • Kale and/or Spinach
  • 100% juice of some kind. Usually orange juice but apple is great as well
  • 1/2 a banana. frozen or not.  I prefer frozen but I used fresh today since I used all my frozen the other day.
  • Greek yogurt.  I like my smoothies creamy and the bananas just aren't enough. Plus Greek Yogurt is packed with protein.
After those ingredients I cram in a combination of whatever fresh or frozen fruits I have on hand. My favorites are peaches, mangoes, pineapple, strawberries, and/or raspberries.  I start by cramming in as much spinach/kale into my bullet cup as I can fit, usually a handful of each. I pour about a 1/4 cup of juice over top, twist on the blade and pulse until its liquefied. With the bullet it blends better if you only add a few things at a time.  With other blenders you might just be able to drop everything in at once and give it a whirl.  Once I blend the greens and juice I add 1/2 a banana or about the equivalent of frozen banana slices and two heaping tablespoon fulls of Greek yogurt.  Blend it up once again  then add your other fruits and blend. Today I did a handful of frozen strawberries and frozen pineapple.  The result is a delicious fruity smoothie with the added bonus of a heaping serving of greens.   It's incredibly filling and energizing also.

No comments:

Post a Comment